Friday, November 09, 2007

Technological Dependence

Dependence:
Main Entry:
de·pen·dence
Variant(s):
also de·pen·dance
Function:
noun
Date:
15th century

1: the quality or state of being dependent; especially : the quality or state of being influenced or determined by or subject to another
2: reliance, trust
3: one that is relied on
4 a: drug addiction b: habituation 2b



Isn't it funny how quickly you can become dependent upon something and not even know it? With today's technological advances you become dependent on things and you don't even know it.

Well i was reminded this morning of my technological dependence when i was taking my ipod out of my coat pocket to select a playlist for the morning commute to the office. I managed to get my ipod caught on my jacket flap and i dropped it to the ground. When it hit, it busted open...

I was devestated... not really, but really. if you know what i mean. So I continued on my way to the car and went to plug in...

stop.

oh man, my ipod is busted i'll have to listen to a cd.

stop.

I moved my cd's to the apartment when i got the ipod hook up in the car.
i guess there's always radio. i hate morning radio.
i hate radio altogether, really... but that's a whole 'nother blog post.

So i drove with the radio on for about 5 minutes, and after not finding one suitable station to listen to, i drove in silence for 15 minutes to the office. where i am now sitting in silence posting to this blog wondering how i'm going to make it through the day without any music in my life...

and thinking...
i hope my cellphone doesn't die on me today

good luck trying to find a pay phone.

anywhere.

2 comments:

jack said...

i get seriously depressed when the battery in my mp3 player dies. i know the feeling.

sklurben said...

we still have payphones in Maine!!! that will be my project on my next ride...